Tuesday, August 10, 2010

FEMINISM PRESENTATION: A Reflection

I participated in a group presentation on Feminism and Gender Studies with fellow group members Ashley, Kelina and Djinji. We agreed to each take a theorist in with a feminism emphasis and do a thorough analysis and create an activity that employed the views of the specific theorist. This seemed to be the most efficient way to provide the class with the necessary information to have a greater understanding on this particular movement. For my personal presentation I selected Judith Butler and examined “Gender Trouble.” I made this selection because I felt as though Butler utilized Simone De Beauvoir, Focault and Gilbert and Gubar in her evaluations to sustain ideas on gender. I decided to discuss some of Butler’s arguments that are relative to contemporary culture and in essence have larger implications on our lives in today’s society. My aim was to have an open discussion regarding these arguments as they play a large role in our 21 century lifestyles. My other attempt was to present a clip from “Meet the Parents” that demonstrated gender responses from Butler’s point of view. This was to provide a visual on how we consciously and unconsciously perform in these gendered manners. Unfortunately, the first two discussions done by my fellow group members were over-extended and went off on tangents we hadn’t anticipated for. Ultimately, this mismanagement of time worked to my disadvantage forcing me to significantly condense my presentation and limit my interaction with my classmates. Class was already over and I feel as this may have played a role in keeping them from fully engaging and being attentive. However, It appeared that the class participated extensively in the activities and discussion and my hope is that they left with a greater understanding on feminism and its contribution and relativity to contemporary culture.

No comments:

Post a Comment